Saturday, July 30, 2011

"Yeah N*gg*, you's a penguin looking motherf****r."*

*Lyrics from a song by Dr. Dre off of his groundbreaking album The Chronic. Possibly the most recognized west-coast album, and one of the most recognized rap albums of all time.


Those of you interested in geo-finances should click here. This is straight up escape velocity rap dissection. If you are my usual reader demographic (white), and aren't in a situation where you can approach this with an interested mind (actively trying to understand its perspective), steer clear. You've been forewarned, its a sat. night, and I've just jot back from the middle of a five day work week. This heat (106 degrees f.) is hell when my job is so labor intensive, with a good portion spent outside under the sky. But hey, Roofer's have it far worse, and my hats off to them when it comes to stamina.

Not my employer. But similar work.
Back to rap. This is written in hopes to explain to the inquisitive reader (the one who kept scrolling) just what it is that I find so great about rap. I'm not going to try to shove grandiose statements at you... but understand I'm inclined to believe rap is the biggest mainstream musical innovation since the proliferation of music based around the guitar. So here are some examples, of lines from rap and from prose, just to keep you on your toes.

"Son, life is a pool of sin, corrupted with foolish men. An' women with wicked minds, who build picket signs to legalize abortion, the evil eye distortion. I quiz (my) son with my wisdom."
Yeah, that's a rap line. From a song many Christian's would reject as blasphemy, it may not go where you think its going. The song is B.I.B.L.E. and is a collaboration of  Killah Priest & Genius GZA. GZA is a member of the Wu-Tang Clan, and B.I.B.L.E. was first featured on his excellent solo album Liquid Swords.

"I'm a cash money millionaire look at my Rolie (Rolex) girl. Drop to your knees top ya hair, ah ah slow me girl. Now hit it strong, won't be long, now catch it slowly girl. No he didn't say that, yes I did girl"
 Is it rap? I don't like to make blanket statements, but this is some of the sh*ttiest rap you will find. This is that joke of human being "lil' wayne". This is the ammunition that people use to trash rap. And it is a real shame. You don't judge Rock by Kiss, you can't judge Rap by Wayne. I mean seriously, he uses "girl" FOUR f*king times, its complete garbage.

"This game is Chinese chess, countless issues need to be addressed, before the East nukes the West. Totalitarianistic cause-'n-effect, "Run the words through a decompressor, recompress the depth", Canibus is the most explosive next to meth? The inconsistency of the text, makes me complex Pay attention to 'bis my intention is this, leave you spatially adrift suspended in the abyss."
More Rap, but by a rapper with one of the larger vocabularies (but nowhere near the best rapper) Canibus. Can you spot the difference between that and Wayne? I promise, the audible difference when hearing the two songs is even more drastic than it appears on paper.

Eh, its to late to give some more examples. Work tomorrow.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to drop a comment, or do you want to dissent in silence?